October 10, 2009

Say What? Buraka's Sigawot Dish and more


from top, left, and right:

Sigawot, Dorowot, and Tibs with Lamb (with Lentil Salad between each)


A couple friends of mine, whose been to Africa, convinced me to try Buraka, to taste authentic African food. Right away I jumped to the suggestion and tried a few of their dishes. The Sigawot had beef and potatoes flavored with their rich spicy sauce. The Dorowot had chicken and carrots that was slow cooked in a berbere spiced sauce. And the Tips was served with sauteed onions, green peppers, and red peppers with your choice of chicken, beef, or lamb. Each entree came with a side lettuce salad and traditional injaro (Ethiopian flat sourdough bread) which can be substituted for rice.

So what's so authentic about this place?
I'll have to take my friends' advice that the flavor is authentic since I haven't been to Africa myself, though the food had very unique tasteful flavors which made it easy for me to side with my friends' opinions of the authenticity. I can also say the presentation of the food and the style of eating seemed to be pretty authentic. We requested our dishes to be served in the traditional family platter, which otherwise would have came on individual plates. The platter was served in a huge dish with all our entrees. The minimum number of entrees for the traditional family platter is 2. Because it's a traditional platter, the injaro was served with the entrees, rice would be extra and served in a separate bowl. Injaros were laid out as a bed for the three entrees and separating the entrees was the salad. We replaced the lettuce salad for lentil salad which I thought was a really good call. The lentil salad had a zesty flavor and is good on its own but can also complement the entrees. Though it was the bread that fused all the flavors together. It was striking at first, because I first tasted the bread on its own and the sourness surprised me. Though I quickly learned its function. As you can see in the picture above, the bread looks like crepe or a flat pancake. It has a spongy appearance and texture though its sour flavor sums up the entrees almost the same way lime or cilantro can tie up some dishes; without it, the entrees would taste incomplete. The bread also served as a feeding utensil. You simply tear a piece of the bread and use it to pinch your entree and hand feed yourself. The eating experience alone was different but very fun. Check out Buraka and try not to eat your fingers. Let me know what you think of the unique eating experience.
Buraka Restaurant
543 State St
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 255-1010

No comments:

Post a Comment